Selecting a Roofing Contractor
- You notice a water stain on the ceiling, now what
- First determine if there is a room or bathroom above the ceiling of the room where stain is first noticed.
- If there is a bathroom, you need to check where water may be leaking from. This includes checking the plumbing and seal of the shower doors.
- If only attic or roof is above the ceiling, then a roofer needs to check condition of the shingles, flashings, and pipe collars, as well as inside of the attic, to determine the source of the leak.
- How to select a roofing contractor
- A qualified roofer needs to be licensed and insured. You can find roofers in your area through a google search on the computer, then contact the selected roofers and ask if they are licensed and insured. All roofers that show up under Google-Guarantee logo already have been verified for license and insurance. After you obtain this information, you need to verify this.
- You can verify license status of a roofer online in VA and MD. For state of Virginia, a contractor license can be checked at http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/LicenseLookup/ and in MD https://egov.maryland.gov/BusinessExpress/EntitySearch
- You can read reviews of a business on Google by typing name of the business in the Google search box. A good contractor has positive customer reviews and highlights this both on Google and on its website.
- Select the contractor you feel comfortable with and write as clearly as possible your roofing project requirements in the contract.